McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Why? Give us a logical reason for that.
BTW "they all cheat and dope" wouldn't be the right one.
Google, 'doping Slovenia,' and you get a lot of hits like for example, this from a March 2019 Cycling News--
Erzen has worked with a large number of professional riders from his native Slovenia, including Giro d’Italia race favourite Primoz Roglic, who raced for Eržen’s Adria Mobil Continental team between 2013 and 2015.
Lot of articles about doping in Slovenian hockey.

No such rumors concerning LA back in '99 or '00...

The doping pros are always a step ahead of the anti-doping authorities. I suppose we'll all know in a few years looking back but, looking back now to 1999/2000, there's zero evidence LA doped back then. Who's to say he wasn't clean such that his entire professional career should be erased as if it never existed.

I guess we know what UAE's stand on alcohol use would be but how seriously does it take doping. I have no clue. I Googled it and saw this about a UAE team failing an out of season doping test...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uae-team-colombia-shut-operations-after-doping-positive/
​​​​​​

The invasion of the Bahrain team's privacy yesterday by TdF officials, accompanied by the police, apparently was in response to allegations in the French press. They didn't find anything. So, what if Bahrain's team was this year's winner and was caught doing drugs in a TdF 5 years from now-- should disqualification include canceling wins 5 years earlier even tho there was no evidence of drug use then?

The 1998 TdF win by Pantani was not stripped. Rather than saying it should have been stripped, I am questioning whether earlier wins by LA should be stripped even tho there's was no evidence of doping.

Googled this (found in an article about Tadej Pogačar's coach)--

Given the era he rode in, [Allan] Peiper was at the sharp end of doping, a subject he is non-judgemental about. He frequently offers the excuse that the problem is two-fold: first, drugs have always been part of the sport; second, there is so much pressure on riders that it's inevitable that they dope. Of his own experience with doping he says "I tried to ride clean, most of the time."

Last edited by McBTC; 07-17-21 at 09:56 AM.