Old 07-16-21, 10:27 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, if I were female, I'm certain that I would feel differently about FlyBy - guys can be ******' creeps. I think that one of the big nails in the coffin was the idiots that were uploading activities while at a secret military base, though.

I'm fine with the default being "off," but it would have been nice to see some pop-ups or more dialog on the various privacy options that could be used in conjunction with FlyBy. I think that simply throwing the big switch and saying, "yeah, you can turn it back on if you want," left the ranks of participants much lower than the actual number that would be willing to share that info if they knew the why/how of it.
Pretty much this. The location tracking concerns, especially for women, were legitimate concerns and should've been addressed. Unfortunately Strava tends to take a "nuclear weapon to kill a gnat" approach to everything. Plus they were already under the spotlight because of the aforementioned military security issues which, to be fair, were not Strava's fault. That was a "soldiers and contractors surprised to find that their workouts uploaded to a public site are public" sort of thing but Strava took the heat for it.
Likes For ksryder: