View Single Post
Old 07-17-21, 06:45 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
So I couldn’t wait to get into it but a little research beforehand was in order. Off to the internet I went in search of enlightenment. Fortunately, there are a few people here and there who know a thing or two about these crappy old bikes. From the fatcogs.com website I found this helpful in decoding my serial number:

So my SN is 359W11, making my bike frame #359, Wicked, 1991, 21” . A 1991 Wicked - made in Somerville, MA, before the move to Serotta. My measurement of the seat tube CTT comes out at 21”, so I think I can reliably say it’s all true.

Hard to see but it is definitely 359W11

The bike is a bit of a bitsa, with only 2 components dating to 1991: the FD (FD-M732) and crankset (FC-M730 in 180mm length!). The rest are from 1994/1995 time frame; all XT from before 1996 when Shimano unleashed V brakes on an unsuspecting cycling public. The RD is an RD-M750, so about 1998 or so. This is all good news as I’d been wanting to build a nice cantilever braked bike but didn’t have any nice canti’s available. Also I don’t feel constrained to building a period correct restoration job; I have the parts to do so but time and improvements in technology have combined to take the shine off the old stalwart M732/M735 XT.

So let’s dig into this pig and see just how bad it really is. Of course it’ll need the full monty with a paint job but let’s start small. The biggest concern I had was the unique press fit BB, but it came apart without too much complaint; unfortunately the retaining collars are both destroyed :

BB spindle looks to be in pretty good nick:

Bearings are still smooth but in the interest of being thorough I think I’ll try to source some new ones. The part number on the rubber seal is SC0228LU, while the part number etched on the body is SC0228N. I suspect the LU designates a body with a groove cut in. The BB is interesting in that it is designed to allow for an adjustable chain line. The bearings are pressed into the BB shell and held in position with a circlip that fits in the groove of the bearing and presses against the outer edge of the BB shell. The spindle just slips into the bearing, and the side to side adjustment is controlled by the locking collars. Very simple and effective, but I can see how it could be a pain to set the chain line.

There were (are) patches of black scattered around the frame and fork, and at first I thought it might have been repainted at some point. Turns out some previous owner covered up places where the original paint had worn through to bare steel. The most concerning of these areas is on the drive side chainstay where there appears to be some evidence of a nasty chainsuck event:

And that’s where I stopped. It looks bad but I don’t think it went through; I fully intend to get it repaired, just need to source someone local. I think while I’m having this repaired I might want to do a few other thing as well- add a 3rd bottle mount on the bottom of the down tube and add some rack braze-ons to the seatstays. I think I’ll make it an urban assault vehicle, and in that capacity it needs a clean rack mounting option.

Thoughts? Feedback welcomed!
great find but that boo boo may ruin the party....
thus something wicked has indeed arrived.
​​​​so good luck keep posted.