Old 07-27-21, 06:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 4,422 Times in 2,099 Posts
Making progress. Dunked and cleaned the AW bits (not that they even needed cleaning - everything looked perfect), gave everything a good re-lube, and put it back together:

Hub isn't so clean, but that's about to be rectified:

...and polished up and back together:

There's only so much I can clean off the rim, but as you can see, the brake blocks have worn the chrome away down to either the steel or the nickel anyway. They'll probably clean a bit more off when this thing is finally rolling.

I also discovered that the locknut on the left side of the Sturmey AW had cracked, which led me to reconsider the apparent omission of a locknut - only the lock washer - on the drive side of this hub. Unlike a Sports, this bike has axle tensioners (after all, they're rear-facing), so I was considering whether this was an intentional difference at the factory for the rod-brakers - but the cracked LH locknut suggests to me that the right hand locknut probably failed in a similar manner, and might have been removed by whoever installed the Continental tires at some point in the bike's life.

Still, I sent a message to @SirMike1983 who seems to have seen more than a few of these early hubs. Tagging @nlerner just in case too.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: