View Single Post
Old 07-30-21, 09:57 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I had a doctors appointment on Tuesday about 30 miles north of home, so what do we do when that happens? Find a good place to ride and go early. I rode the Ironton Rail Trail in the Coplay, PA area. It passes thru Saylor Park where these vertical cement kilns are largely preserved. Coplay is where Portland cement was invented by Saylor and these kilns were the last and most effective kilns in use at the time rotary kilns were invented. Originally 40 feet taller than they are now and housed in a 4 story building, they were built in 1892 and operated about 10 years. At one point the region produced about 70% of all the cement used in the USA. Interesting history. Very fine ride too thru that history. Oh, I was on my dropped Trek 850 again but youse allz seen that ole wreck.

You posted this and I immediately knew that these were lime kilns. Northampton and Nazareth still produce a significant amount of cement for use in the Northeastern US, and the cement plants were fixtures of my youth.