View Single Post
Old 07-31-21, 08:46 PM
TheHelmetHook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need bike computer advice

Guys, I don't really ride bikes any longer but I figured this was the place to ask because I need a bike computer and I'll explain why.

I recently bought a used car but the digital odometer is messed up or rather, the display is so I have no idea how far I've driven, when to replace
the oil and so on and on top of that, the gas gauge is not really working.

So, I went online and bought a GPS odometer/speedometer for cars but that didn't work out for me and the reason was that, I don't
take long trips. Most of my drives are local so it's a lot of start and stop and that thing has no battery backup meaning that every time
I start the car, the damn thing now has to find the satellites again and it takes some two minutes.

ALL I need is a gps device that is battery operated and that saves date even when it runs out of power (hopefully).
I prefer something rechargeable but above all, I need something with an odometer than I can reset if I'd like, AND, most importantly,
something that keeps track of total miles driven and that hopefully goes up to four digits. That should not be erased unless I do it manually.

Additional options would be LARGE digits. I need something simple with decent battery that I can recharge or replace and if so, without losing at least
the TOTAL mileage, I would like something cheap 'cause this is all I want and accuracy is NOT critical as I only want to know when it's time to get gas
or change the oil.

Preferably something available online (amazon or something) as I live in a little hole in the wall.

Something I can keep on the front seat or something so that it doesn't have to find satellites every damn time I get in the car.

Is there something like this?

How long will a battery last? I may not get in the car for days. Would this mean I have to take it out or leave it to charge and then reboot when I start driving
and it will at least have enough battery to last me that day? Some of the ones I saw said something about 8 hours of run time so yes, it's important that it
save the total mileage.

Also, NO apps. I don't want to use my phone.

Also, I have a Garmin but in the manual, it didn't really say anything about total mileage.

I was wondering if there is something that is always ON so to speak?

Thanks

George

Last edited by TheHelmetHook; 07-31-21 at 11:27 PM.