Old 08-02-21, 06:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18481 Post(s)
Liked 15,770 Times in 7,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Fixed
Not as heavy as it may look. There is relatively little in those rear bags. A lot of my load is driven by potential weather conditions. No need for things like arm and leg warmers, rain pants and warm socks and gloves for that trip. I didn't even bring the zip-on legs of my convertible pants.

Many people think that the amount of stuff is directly proportional to the length of the trip. For me, that true around "the edges." For example, if I am taking a long weekend I am not going to fill my stove's fuel battle or my squeeze bottle of olive oil for cooking all the way. When I am pacing I think "Am I likely to need X, and what are the potential consequences if I don't bring it?" Made a poor decision in 2014 during a Montana tour with some high passes. Got weight weenie fever just before the trip and left my heavier rain jacket at home and only took a cheap shell. Also skipped the good winter gloves and brought a medium weight, not waterproof pair. Twice got caught in cold rain events at elevation. The second time left me hypothermic on the descent. My hands became like blocks of ice. I couldn't work the brakes well. Good thing I didn't need to. The road was empty and the descent was not technical.