View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The thing about where I live is that it's pretty densely populated, and so the MUPs tend to be as well. I have noticed, on that 4-mile MUP I mentioned above, that foot traffic is inversely proportional to the distance from one end of the trail, so that when I DID ride on it, once I got past about 1 mile from the trail head it wasn't too bad. This trail doesn't allow dogs, but on another nearby MUP that does, I noticed that dog poop has a similar distribution pattern - inversely proportional to distance from trailhead.

I imagine an intercity bike trail would be similar, so that once you get out some distance the traffic is lighter and there are a lot fewer pedestrians, which might make it more tolerable, especially if the roads aren't amenable to bikes.

The best for speed are the inter-town ones, no major metropolis at either end. Closest thing I'll get to having my own private track.

In the crowded areas, time of day also matters a lot.