Old 08-03-21, 05:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Yesterday I put the drive drain on the 1986 Miyata 210 refurbishment that I'm doing for my wife. See the photos below, and the captions, for how this triple is set up. I used one of the methods from my Zinn book whereby I size the chain for big-big plus one chain link (1" - 1.5" extra). Do we feel that I've hit the optimal chain length here? Or should I try and squeeze another link out of big-big? Small-small runs but:

1) The chain is pretty slack.

2) The chain almost rubs against itself at the low jockey will at the return intake.

3) The chain is in danger of bouncing against the front derailleur cage.

My suspicion is that this is about as good as this will get for the original equipment on this bike and that, back in 1986, the expectation was that you just stayed the heck out of the small-small gear combo.

Per this discussion, I'm currently more fearful of a big-big catastrophe than I am a small-small catastrophe.

Would y'all pull another link out of the chain? It's missing link so that's easily doable. And, on big-big, it seems that the whole derailleur would just swing around a bit more CCW around the direct mount bolt.

snips done
looks as good as it gets to me

BITD (way before 86 10 speed (2x5) and 12 speed (2x6)) it was recommended to not cross chain (big/big, small/small was considered cross chaining) due to the high angle and stress it put on chains and wear on chain rings. But I don't ever remember it being impossible (unless an error was made). Cross chaining became less of an issue with 9/10/11/12 speed chains, being thinner and more flexible

I would not remove a link at all, based on the derailler position in Big/Big that one link would likely make it to short to run big/big (been there done that)

As long as you are not rubbing on the derailler in low/low you should be good (this is low low sizing works, i posted a video on it eariler)

Likes For squirtdad: