View Single Post
Old 08-03-21, 06:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10471 Post(s)
Liked 11,982 Times in 6,134 Posts
Originally Posted by mwaldin
I am not ungrateful and I really do appreciate everyone's advice. I just think there are times where getting out of clips is impossible. First there is not tension setting. My toe clisps come on and off by rotating your foot. Second, I remove my clips every time I come to a stop. That is both clips not just one. I do that so it becomes natural for me to undo them. After my break in period of learning I have not fallen over stopping my bike. I have however fallen. The last time when my ribs were broken (about 2 months ago and still not healed), I pulled up between a car at a stop light and a handicapped ramp on the curb. My plan was to pull up on the sidewalk so I could push the walk signal. Because of the car I came at the ramp at a very shallow angle and I did not see the 1/2 in high lip along the edge of the ramp. My tire caught and I fell. I guarantee you there was no way to rotate my foot and disengage the pedal in that moment while falling.

If Kimme can tell me how to get out of that situation I will be both astounded and pleased.
That's why I unclip BEFORE coming to a stop. Like, 20 feet before. Can't guarantee the cleat won't slip, but then at least you have one foot to put down and one to guide the bike. That's also why I always unclip the same foot - so I don't have to think about which one to unclip, and I always tilt the bike to the same side, etc. Some accidents are unavoidable, but I haven't fallen due to being clipped in in 25 years and tens of thousands of miles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: