View Single Post
Old 08-05-21, 09:47 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
yikes, I can imagine the confusion. The stop signs would seemingly dictate who has right of way.
Originally Posted by RobbiRobbi
I kind of like the single lane ones as alternatives to four-way stops in low traffic areas, but I recently found out some neighborhoods near me put in circles in the middle of the intersections (and signs telling you to go around the circle counter-clockwise) but left up the stop signs. So it’s still a four-way stop but with the extra step of going around the circle?!

I’m also not totally sure how it’s supposed to work because with a regular one you yield to enter the circle and then have the right of way to exit. But with this, are you supposed to wait for someone else to complete their whole turn before going, or is it ok to enter the circle at the same time from opposite sides?
Yeah, it's fine to go into a circle with a stop sign while someone else is still in it. One just has to definitively STOP before entering, whether there's someone to yield to or not.

And that's preferable, cause as I said above, I have always suspected that a LOT of people simply do not know what yield means. Like, literally, I think a lot of people do not know the word, and then they come to a rotary and are fuzzy on what to do/not do. {Not that this excuses it in my book; they are stupid for not looking it up.}
  • "Vehicles entering or exiting a roundabout must yield to all traffic including pedestrians and bicycles."
  • "Drivers yield to any vehicles or bicyclists already in the roundabout."
Those rules are, unfortunately, too sophisticated for many drivers. They should say "You gotta let the cars IN the circle go past you before you can cross this line, and you will probably have to stop completely. THEY get to go, THEN you, and only when nobody's coming anywhere near you, or it's ALL YOUR FAULT."

And I think there should be more rotaries with stop signs (instead of yield triangles) to prevent these morons from failing, although that does mean that we lose the benefit of free flow through busy intersections.