View Single Post
Old 08-09-21, 08:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Your OP:

Originally Posted by david101
It's not much help for your real world situation, but reducing things to the purest theoretical level, all you need to know to calculate calories burned is your mass and how far you've moved it. Elevation change and wind direction would also play into it, but not your speed of travel or any biological details.
Your reformulation of your OP:

Originally Posted by david101
I wrote

"The spirit of my original post was merely to point out that doing something fast doesn't necessarily burn more calories than doing the same thing slowly."

That concept is exactly what I had in mind when I made my original post. Perhaps that original post could have been better expressed, but I'll be surprised if you disagree with the general statement above. My specific cases were advanced purely as counter arguments to those who did take issue with that incontrovertibly true statement.

Air resistance? What the hell is that? Never heard of it

This time I really am gone before I get fired.
So let's see, your "spirit" of the OP is not expressed when you said EXPLICITLY that speed of travel doesn't matter?
And yes, if you take pains to differentiate wind direction and "speed of travel" as factors, it's quite clear you don't understand that air resistance increases with speed.

So, as to the spirit of your op being right, cool story, bro...

You said something clearly wrong, get over it.