View Single Post
Old 08-15-21, 07:07 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewey101
I bought a used WeeHoo Venture model trailer cycle a few years ago that my 6yo loves to ride, in the last 2 weeks it began making a loud rubbing sound on every wheel revolution, and there was a good deal of friction making it harder to pedal, but nothing was touching the tire, and the crank would cycle backward. I took it to my local bike shop yesterday, they undid the wheel nuts and when they took the axle out of the sliding dropouts the freewheel fell off and dropped onto the floor with a clank, upon inspection the threading on the hub was stripped. So the shop has ordered a new and serviceable freewheel they are fitting to a new 20" wheel - they mentioned the broken freewheel was not designed with puller splines to be removable, just a one-time thread-on assembly they suspect was cross-threaded when originally assembled. The shop wasn't sure how they would have got the freewheel off if it hadn't stripped the threads and just fallen off. I'm going to ask the shop to lube the crank bearings while they have it in, hopefully with the new wheel this should make it easier to pedal.

Am posting this for other WeeHoo owners benefit because I couldn't get much information from WeeHoo customer service or Googling on the web, and from seeing other reports online this appears to be a point of failure on well-used WeeHoo trailer cycles.
There is a perfectly good method to remove those freewheels, though they usually can't be re-used, well described at SheldonBrown.com - similar ones are used on entry level BMX race bikes. I've never heard of what you've described happening, and I HAVE destroyed one of those freewheels.