View Single Post
Old 08-20-21, 04:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5110 Post(s)
Liked 8,428 Times in 3,980 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I did four club/group rides with LaGrange club here in LA. Their rides are open (membership not needed). Compared to my club, two major differences stand out:

First, the number of riders is HUGE. Sunday’s ride had about 70 riders. The other rides had around 20-30 riders. My club typically has 6-15 cyclists on a ride. If more than 15 it’s almost a given that they will split into two groups.

Second, these men and women really know how to ride safely. Pretty much everyone was steady and stable and held their lines. I did not see a single wobbly/squirrelly rider. In my club, despite our best efforts to correct or weed out bad behavior, there is almost always a few riders who are either inexperienced and/or oblivious which, to be honest, makes me a little nervous riding near them. It was a non-issue here. I must find out their secret.
70 is a good-size group, but some of the BIG groups in the So Cal area will typically be well north of 100 riders. Those rides are all FAST. Fast does a good job of filtering out the squirrels.

I've ridden with and raced against La Grange club members for years. Everyone I've come across has been good people and good riders.