View Single Post
Old 08-20-21, 10:35 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 873 Posts
I finally test-rode the actual bike with the 10s transplanted cassette on the stock 6401 7s freehub, and can report that there seem to be no issues in terms of function while hitting the steep hills surrounding me here.

I used a SR Suntour 11t cassette lockring because it engaged the most threads by nesting into the recess in the 12t smallest cog. I did also look around for similar lockrings that might work best with this conversion and noticed that my SRAM alloy lockrings appear to also have more/longer threading on them.

Anyone doing this conversion should be aware of how much threaded engagement that they can get between the lockring and freehub body. Most normal setups seem to achieve two full turns on the lockring whether it's steel or aluminum and whether the freehub body is steel or aluminum, but use your own judgement as this could be important in terms of safety and reliability.

This is kind of a game-changer for the couple of 126mm aluminum bike frames that I have waiting for a future build. My old 1990 Specialized Epic also uses a 126mm 7s hub so might be another good candidate for a 10s cassette upgrade. My Klein and perhaps my 1980's Calfee (20th production Calfee ever built) will also be getting upgraded with 10s shifters.
Likes For dddd: