View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 03:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10477 Post(s)
Liked 11,991 Times in 6,139 Posts
Lots of theoretical handwaving. Not a lot of data.

I can tell you that the stiffest frames I have are the ones the feel best in a sprint or other out-of-saddle effort, while the least stiff don't encourage that kind of effort. However, I'm also always aware of which bike I'm riding, so I can't dismiss expectation as a variable. And in the end, I don't need to because it doesn't really matter whether or not stiffness of the frame 'doesn't really matter' because somebody's got a hypothesis (it's a hypothesis, guys, not a theory).

Hell, I've even been told that stiffness of the frame doesn't matter for comfort and compliance because of some guy's hypothesis, but I still find myself seeking the least bumpy line with some bikes more than others, and some bikes on the same roads kick me up out of the saddle more than others. So I'll stick with my observations, because observation is how you determine whether hypotheses are correct anyway.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles