View Single Post
Old 08-31-21, 01:24 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
There are lots of climbs in Washington but most have a fair amount of traffic If you are willing to drive a bit and have flexibility when you can ride you can find some quieter roads.

The roads up and around Rainier are all great climbs and are relatively low traffic if you can go on a weekday and early in the morning before the tourists show up. I like the combo of Cayuse/Chinook out and back combined with Sunrise. Stevens Canyon and Ashford to Paradise are nice if you get an early start. No shoulders so I wouldn't go on a weekend or later in the day.

Mt. St. Helens has good climbs, both Johnson Ridge and Windy Ridge. Windy Ridge is more remote and can be done partially as a loop, the road is rough in places but traffic is low. Johnson Ridge isn't too bad traffic-wise with an early start an there is a shoulder.

There are lots of climbs in Eastern Washington. Lions Rock outside of Ellensburg, steep forest service road. Wenatchee has Mission Ridge and Badger Mountain among others. Chelan area has a lot of climbing, including McNeil Canyon. Look up the Chelan Century, all three loops have plenty of climbing.

The Methow Valley has the climb up to Washington Pass from Mazama or Winthrop. The traffic can be bad on weekends but there is a shoulder. I don't care much for the climb coming from the other side, seems like the traffic is worse and there are some narrow sections. Over in the Methow you can climb up Sun Mountain or Loop Loop Pass from Winthrop or Twisp. Also the Chewuch road has several climbs coming off of it of varying lengths and difficulty plus it is low traffic.

This site has has a lot of the states climbs listed with information.
https://pjammcycling.com/zone/67.Washington

There are several organized rides where you can ride climbs car free annually. Ride the Hurricane is in August and is the one I've done the most, the road is closed to cars until noon. The Mt. Baker Hill Climb is coming up in September, great ride if the weather holds. Two years ago the descent was horrible in cold wet conditions, hoping for better weather this year. If you want to drive further Crest the Cascades in Sisters Oregon every June is a great ride that is mostly car free over McKenzie Pass, if you do the full over and back you get 74 miles and 6,000+' of climbing.

If you want something farther afield Oregon and California have a lot more low traffic roads. This guy has put together a dream list of climbs, we've only done a few but they've all been excellent.
Home Page - Jay's Essential Bike Rides

Last edited by busygizmo; 08-31-21 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For busygizmo: