Old 08-31-21, 08:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Gorilla tape is too expensive to carry long term on a bike. I might stow some for a bike camping trip or tour. But not long term. I use it for sealing rims for latex tubes, or to hold cables out of the way of my front mounted video camera on a cluttered cockpit.

I've often carried first aid kits on bikes, usually in a plastic jar with screw lid sized to fit a water bottle cage. If I don't replace the tape and bandaids often they're useless after a few months. Too many extremes in temperature and humidity for storing tape long term on a bike. But I buy first aid stuff from the dollar store so it's cheap to replace every few months. Occasionally I see decent generic duct tape in the dollar stores, but never brand name Gorilla tape.

Some types of self-adhesive tube patches appear to be pretty much the same as Gorilla tape, and they don't work very well. The tube needs to be scuffed up well, then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol to remove the dust and any finger oils. PITA, but maybe useful to slow down a leak enough to limp home. Lezyne self-adhesive patches were the best but harder to find now, and those were nothing like Gorilla tape. Hard to explain, but the Lezyne patches were paper thin, very sticky, and over time tended to bond with butyl tubes just like glued patches. I've had some tubes patched with Lezyne patches for years that are still in good shape. Now *those* I would and have carried in my saddle bag for years.

Sometimes I'll use zip ties instead. Those last for years in a saddle bag. Good for some chores, but not a replacement for tape in some uses.