View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 06:17 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Cobbles are fun - right until they aren't. So far, I've never gone down on them, but I suspect if I keep tempting fate on my skinny tires I will regret it one day.

Today, a throwback ride. Over thirty years ago (1983) my spouse while in grad school at Mass Art bought me a Univega for my birthday (knew how much I missed my Schwinn), and that's when I started riding Metro Boston. Back then, not many of us riding out there. Bike lane? ¿Que es eso? Minuteman Commuter Bikeway? About a decade away.

So, taking the longer route I might have taken back then. I'd try to time my arrival to be during a class break, and depending on when I left and how fast I was riding I would swing wide or go more direct. Let's check in with what is the same, and what is different.

-mr. bill
Yesterday’s ride to BIDMC on a Blue Bike.

Finding that I can manage short quiet roads, like Cedar in Somerville with the flex posts and Oxford with the sharrows on steroids. So yesterday rode to Cambridgeport then walked over the BU bridge the rest of the way, while scoping it out for a route I could ride. So long as I suffer the indignity of walking through Davis, walking across Beacon Street, and CX the aptly named Short Street Stairs, I can bike theah from heah.

But honestly, it was the light fixtures below that stopped me in my tracks for this shot:

Took me a while to read:

The useful and elegant arts
minister to the comfort of man
and gladdens his eye with beauty

Horace Man

Massachusetts School of Art

Founded 1873

Then I remembered my spouse had a studio in this building first year of grad school. And Sami’s, the amazing food “truck.” Sami’s is now gone, and both Mass Art buildings are now part of BIDMC.

My spouse has taught at many of the Colleges of the Fenway, in reverse alphabetical:
Wheelock College (now part of BU), Wentworth Institute of Technology, Mass Art (letterhead says Massachusetts College of Art and Design, nobody calls it that), and Emmanuel College.

We met up at Emmanuel as students are beginning move in, and I bummed a ride home.

(Pills and Ills update: got my tattoos yesterday. Radiation starts two weeks from today. By Thanksgiving I’ll be done with my formerly prostate.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill: