Old 09-03-21, 01:38 AM
TheAlbionJackal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What type of clunking goes away with rain? (!)

Hi,

I have a number of bikes but had an interminable problem with a knocking/clunking noise that occurred when out of the saddle and applying considerable force via the pedals.

Over a considerable amount of time I sought I advice and checked everything. I swapped the pedals over, tightened the chainring bolts, checked the seatpost, and everything in between.

As it seemed to be coming from the BB area and sounded very much like a metal on carbon (frame) issue. I took it to my local LBS and managed to get them to refit my 68mm English threaded BB and apply loctite.

Nevertheless, the noise didn't go away and I became resigned to the fact that I, for the first time in decades was going to have to lump it or like it.

The curious thing however, is that last weekend we got caught out in torrential rain and lo and behold the knocking/clunking noise simply disappeared over the duration of a coffee stop!

Now I know my riding experience tells me just to get on with things and enjoy a noiseless bike but ... it's got me wondering as to why a large amount of rain has cured the noise.

I've been cycling for donkey's years and never had this occur before!

Can anyone give their penneth worth as to what it may have been and why a load of rain has cured it, please?