Old 09-03-21, 10:47 PM
TheAlbionJackal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Ensure the quick releases (if so equipped) are tight and the hubs are centered and seated in the openings.
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Went out again in the rain this morning and not a sound!

Prior to the ride the other day when it all went quiet, I had greased where the hubs make contact with the frame, as it was literally the only thing I hadn't checked or attempted to alter.

The problem is that for the first hour of the ride, the grease made no difference, the knocking was ever present on sprints and hills. It was only after the rain that it went completely silent.

There was no hint of noise again today.

The BB was replaced when my LBS used the loctite to "fill" any gaps in the thread on the BB, so I'm not sure it's the BB bearings.

The wheels are Bora Ones and only 9 months old but I do regret changing from my beloved C24s. Maybe the hubs aren't right?

When I built the bike the new chain did have a stiff link but I flexed it back and forth and that did seem to the trick. The cassette is definitely secure and you'd imagine wheels wouldn't flex to that extent that there'd be a knocking at this stage. I'm only about 74Kg!

Other than that I'm at a loss. It's definitely more of a deeper click verging on a clunk. The sort of thing that sounds like metal on carbon fibre.

I installed everything from new myself and the parts are only about 9 months old. The crankset is a standard Shimano Dura-Ace compact and has been checked over by my LBS.

I did wonder if it was the Di2 junction boxes rattling around when I rock from side to side but it only happens when I'm applying a lot of pressure. Otherwise they don't seem to be heard.