Old 02-25-06, 08:06 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE
The bike has a 7 speed Suntour freewheel ... They are 8 spd per the prior owner.... The wind a little bit out of my sails again as he cannot find the hardware to attach to the handlebar.
Campy 8 speed and Shimano 7 speed use the same 5mm cog spacing so your 8 speed Mirage Ergo levers will work with the Shimano 7 speed cassette & rear derailleur. You'll only use 7 of the 8 shifting positions on the levers and will end up with an "extra click" at either the top or the bottom of the shift range but it's easy to adapt to. FWIW: I used Campy 9 speed levers with Shimano 8 speed for about two years and it wasn't a problem getting used to the extra click.

The missing parts are probably the handlebar clamp band, 5mm post, and barrel nut assembly. You can buy them from a place like Brandford bike for about $20/set but your best bet might be checking with your local bike shop to see if they have any Campy or Shimano STI handlbar band & nuts laying around as I believe you make due with the Shimano mounting hardware.

Note: Ergo as in ergonomic is Campy's designation for it's integrated brake/shifter technoloy; analogous to Shimano's STI