Old 09-08-21, 09:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
because it is dirty.

i do use it to remove the original lube because that is very sticky and is a dust magnet but i still wash with mineral spirits. the first bath is quite a dirty grey color from dust, road grime, and i presume residual oil from previous lube style. the second bath is much cleaner but even wiping the chain to dry after the second bath shows residual dark mineral spirits on the paper towel.

chain is running nice by the way. i think this time i'm going to measure how many miles it lasts between waxings. just curious really.
I am getting about 300 miles on mine. I have a 2 chain setup going, wax both initially, then swap them out so I will always have a chain ready to roll. Although, I need to do a better job breaking the wax on the clean chain, I put the fresh chain on Friday, went for a 35 mile ride on Saturday and had a link that was a little sticky and it was hitting the rear mech cage brace a little. was more than annoying for about 20 miles and then seem to loosen up toward the end.