Old 09-09-21, 04:51 AM
TheAlbionJackal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
OK, one more longshot... which I experienced...

Check the rear wheel spoke crossings. Tweak 'em together and feel or listen for any stiction and noise.

I encountered that with one wheelset with black spokes -- dunno if the spokes are painted, enameled, coated in plastic or what. But I kept hearing and feeling a sort of clunking noise for weeks. Overhauled the entire bike -- every bearing, hubs, BB, even the headset. No help. The noise was worst when I really put pressure down, or stood to pedal.

I noticed the noise wasn't there on wet days. That seemed to indicate something sticking.

I checked the chain links. All were fine.

Then I squeezed the spoke pairings for each crossing and, on the rear wheel, felt some stiction. I smeared some soft wax between my fingers (leftover unburned wax from a scented candle -- very soft) and smooshed it between each spoke crossing. Problem solved. I redo it once or twice a year, depending on the weather and how often I ride that bike.

I've had a similar issue once before, but with a cheap machine built rear wheel replacement for an errand bike. The aluminum spokes were larger in diameter than most, and for the first few weeks the stiction would produce a distinct pinging sound. As it wore in the noise stopped.

But the black spokes on that particular wheelset didn't make a metallic pinging noise. It was an odd clunk that I could hear and occasionally feel when standing to pedal.

Like I said, longshot but worth checking out. Try some wax between the spokes, see what happens. Some folks use oil or grease but wax is less messy, don't run off and lasts longer.
Yes, a friend said this could be the root cause. I've checked the spoke tension and it seems good but I will try grease on the intersections and where they meet the hub.

Thanks everyone else as well. I will re-grease the pedal threads and try another pair just in case. Although I must admit I've tried this before.

One thing I have experienced that was similar, just in case it helps someone else, is a similar noise that eventually turned out to be an integrated handlebar/stem that had cracked on the underside!

Every time I got out the saddle, I was tending to pull on the handlebars and eventually I checked them out and the stress had caused them to a crack. Not good!