View Single Post
Old 09-09-21, 06:45 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 318 Posts
DangerousDanR - I agree what you say in post #29 about tubeless being less harsh. On my tubed (aluminum) road bike with 25mm latex tubed tires I find it harsh to ride a lot in the crack filled pavement near the white line on the right. Makes me migrate further out into the road to seek the car tire ruts.

On my tubeless (titanium) road bike the harshness is much less even when the tubeless tires are inflated at the higher end (say..90f/100r). It allows me to relax on my solo training rides around traffic and I don’t get beat to death by choppy pavement and cars appreciate me since I’m not as squirrelly.

To make the harshness comparison of tubed to tubeless more meaningful and not just attributable to what is probably superior shock dampening from the titanium frame, I plan to convert my aluminum bike to tubeless as well. My Flyte SRS-3 aluminum bike has a nice Reynolds carbon fork and I run Velocity A23 clincher wheels with tubeless tape/latex tubes and currently w/ Schwalbe One (23mm) clinchers at like 84 psi front and 90 psi rear and the ride is just “OK”. Normally these wheels are run with 25mm Challenge Strada open tubulars and yeah those are a bit less harsh. But even those are quite a bit more harsh than the Panaracer/Hutchinson Secteur tubeless set up on my titanium bike.