Old 09-13-21, 01:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You are making a lot of assumptions, here, based solely on weight.

WTB Horizon is 60 or 120 tpi, depending on the model. Kenda in question is 30tpi.

There are many reasons why a tire can be heavy, some correlate to rolling resistance, others do not. The WTB in question costs ~4x what the Kenda does. It is reasonable to assume that in addition to the higher tpi casing, it may also use higher quality (more supple) casing material. Also, it matters a lot WHERE the extra casing material and stiffness is. It matters less in the middle of the tread than in the sidewalls.

I am curious about the nearly 700g weight you are claiming. BikeRumor, Gravel Cyclist, Riding Gravel all show actual weights around 510-520g a tire.
yeah, I’m making assumptions precisely for the reason that it seems to be a special OE Horizon that’s not sold retail, based on the weight. They’re hanging in my garage, wire bead, and very rigid sidewalls. I don’t think this OE Horizon has much in common with commercial options, but I don’t anything about it other than what I can observe; casing, compound, and stuff like that are unknowns, suggested only by weight and texture.