View Single Post
Old 09-15-21, 08:53 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 3,825 Times in 672 Posts
^ Glad you didn't learn a hard lesson there, Dude!
I carry a Black Diamond headlamp as a backup on every night ride. They are fairly cheap and easy to carry. Great for hiking too.

Last week while I was at a Memorial for an old friend of mine, I got to talk’n bikes with my buddy Bruce.

I asked him if he’d like to join me for an overnight camping trip on Bainbridge Island the next day.

Bruce is one of those friends who like me, is retired and up for an occasional spur of the moment adventure.

Early the next morning I was out, chasing my shadow up Snoqualmie Ridge to meet Bruce in Bellevue.

Striking out Thursday Morning by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Riding into downtown Seattle, we take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. After grabbing some lunch in Winslow we head along the “Chilly Hilly” bicycle route to find a camping spot at Fay Bainbridge S.P. The sun was out, things were warming up nicely as we rode along Manitou Beach Drive taking in the view of Seattle.

Seattle Skyline from Manitou Beach Drive by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

We got a hiker/biker campsite close to the beach, 7 bucks for the night. After everything was squared away, we set out on our bikes, unladen to ride the rest of the “Chilly Hilly“ route around the Island…

Overnighter on Bainbridge by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

We stopped for dinner at a restaurant in Lynwood Center and ended up lingering there until the sun began to set. We switched on our lights and finished circling the Island in the dark. Traffic was quite light and we had fun riding along on backroads in the dark. We stopped again along Manitou Beach Drive and took in the view of the lights of the Seattle waterfront glimmering like a diamond necklace across the Puget Sound as the sky darkened, watching the air traffic pattern overhead as jets approached for landing SEATAC airport.

Crappy picture but it was the best I could get from my small camera.

Night time ride around Bainbridge Island by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Bruce turned in when we got back to camp. I went down to the beach and watched the sky not wanting the day to end, finally retreating to the tent when the chill started to creep in.

We rode back in the morning, Bruce splitting off in Bellevue. I continued Eastward.

One last photo taken as I waiting to cross Front Street in Issaquah. An old car, I have no idea what it was, chugged by. An interesting subject though.

Not often you see something like this by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Climbing into the foothills back at home in North Bend by 3:30. A nice little get away…
Likes For northbend: