Old 09-16-21, 10:19 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Yup/ Lots of opinions and there will be differences based on individual tastes and experiences. I'm almost always open to learning more about bicycles and what models there are, and what have been made. Tastes do seem to have a way of being flavored by our age (and what the bicycles we really wanted when we were 15-18 or so were, but simply couldn't afford). I gravitate to 1970's bicycles, and seeing your list, it sounds like it's the 1980s for you.

With that in mind, here are a few observations I have, and I'll limit things to bikes that didn't need to be special ordered.

1. I love Raleighs from the 1970's. I have at least one of nearly every model made in the decade from Reynolds tubing. Build quality is known for being inconsistent, but in general it seems the closer they are to the top of the heirarchy, the more likely one is to have been brazed properly. I have a 1977 Team Professional, which is virtually flawless in it's construction, and a 1970 Professional that is nearly as good. Aside from Team Professional all the frames have some versatility. Geometry is similar on all save the 1973 RRA, and they work well with both narrow and relatively wide tires. My favorite all-around is a converted 1972 Competition that now has cantilever brakes, 650b wheels, 42mm tires and a 2 x 9 indexed shifting drivetrain. My favorite one without frame modifications is the 1974 International.

2. If you get the opportunity to ride a Bob Jackson, don't pass it up. They may not impress everyone, but I've owned two and they have been very nice.

3. When I went off to college in fall of 1977, I got my first "good bike" - an 1978 Raleigh Super Course. It was very noticeably better than any of the previous 10-speeds I had had. The bike got stolen shortly after I got out of college and I was then away from cycling for over 20 years. When I decided to get back into cycling, I got the same year/color/size, and largely because of my fitness not being what it was, it didn't seem to have the same "magic". However... I came across a deal on a 1972 Fuji Finest shortly afterward. That bicycle was a revelation. As much better as the Super Course was compared to a Peugeot U-08... that Fuji Finest was just as much better than the Super Course. I half joke that if I had to get rid of one bike, it would probably be the Fuji. However, if I could only keep one... it might well be that same Fuji. If you can get a 1970's Fuji Finest, Newest or Ace, I think you'll be very impressed.

4. Miyata made wonderful bicycle frames. They made their own, I think they made Bridgestones, and I know that they later adopted "Centurions" - all of which have devoted followings. I have contemplated getting a Centurion, but I just haven't, but having owned a Miyata 210, I can say I found it very well made, nicely finished and a very stable bicycle. All traits one would like to see in a Touring bike. The downside is that, if you're not touring you'll notice that they are heavy and not particularly nimble. I realized this when I rode the 210 on the Civil War Century. I was quick to pass the bike along as I was hoping for something with a bit different feel. Why do I bother noting this? I see you have a 610 - which is one model up. I know it is a little bit lighter, but have never ridden one. However... I did acquire an early Miyata 1000 (their top model touring bike), which is noticeably lighter and more nimble. It is also a size small for me as I got it for my wife to ride, but as a suggestion... if you find critiques of your 610 that are similar to mine of my former 210, you might want to try a 1000. This said, I am certain that people will say to try a Centurion. If you have a realistic view of what want from the bike, you'll be in a better position to establish filters for yourself when looking for one.

5. I have never seriously ridden an Italian road bike. There are legions of folks who love Cinelli, Masi, Colnago, Pinarello, DeRosa, Somec, Casati, Wilier, etc. etc. Whether it's due to function or fashion or scarcity or something else, they seem to command a premium over bicycles from other nations. Similarly, my only experience with French bicycles has been with models quite far from the top of the food chain. Since I'm restricting myself to production models, I'd consider the better Gitanes and Peugeot models with 10 in the name as the pinnacles. I know my own limitations, and it is next to impossible to be an expert on everything (although T-mar comes pretty close). I guess what I'm trying to get at is to say there's nothing at all wrong with doing the sort of thing that you're doing with this thread. Take advantage of what other people know about bicycles and models. At the same time, recognize that you will get opinion mixed in with the facts (for example - I'm likely not the person to hit up with questions about how people like riding their Treks, as neither of the two I had felt special enough to keep), and in the end, the person who should be happy with your decisions is you. Don't be afraid to get what you can from others and then make your own call.

Welcome to C&V. It sounds like you're going to stick around.

Last edited by USAZorro; 09-16-21 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For USAZorro: