non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
Show us your Stormvogel!

A thread title couldn't be more hopeful than this one, I think.

I'd never heard of the brand before this bike came up for sale. Ever curious, I looked at the ad, the pics and the text and decided I wanted it.

Apparently is was the house brand of the Van den Eng shop in Gouda (yes, that Gouda) which sold household appliances and - for a while - bikes. Not uncommon before WWII, but after the war specialized bike shops took over all but the bottom end of the market. Even more surprising was that they sold serious racing bikes. According to the seller there was a tie-up with a local racing club.

This is what I picked up today. 63cm frame built with Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks and stays:

The shop's name is prominently on the seat tube and top tube:

Whether "Stormvogel" (storm bird) is the brand name or the model name I'm not sure:

The head "badge":

Familiar dropouts. Normandy hubs that say "76". Atom freewheel:

The Shimano cranks are from early 1981, which seems to fit in nicely with the frame's age. Tubular rims are Super Champions, shod with NOS Clement Grinta tubes:

Bars and stem were made by SR:

After a quick once-over and a couple of small adjustments I took it for a short spin around the block, and it feels really nice. This will be a keeper.

So, anyone else got a Stormvogel?

Likes For non-fixie: