View Single Post
Old 09-18-21, 06:58 PM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
She's a bit rusty...

I found an ad for used bicycles being sold cheap locally, figured it would be worth a look. I planned on looking for parts and ended up buying a bike for the Misses, a Huffy Bay Pointe 3 speed (Hopefully counts as a Classic). Nothing fancy, and a bit rusty but rides like a dream. My spouse has struggled with (box store) bicycles, but doesn't ride enough to buy a "good" bike (her words, not mine).

I got it home, pumped up the tires only to 30 psi (needs tires badly), did a brake check and took it for a spin. The Shimano 3 speed works but needs adjustment, and only the front brakes work proper, but rides a hundred times better than her old mountain bike. I went inside and told her she's got something outside. She took it for a spin and was thrilled. She's not a fan of derailers, and never rode a IGH 3 speed, which she thinks is brilliant. Luckily the rims turn true, no wobble. She's looking forward to riding more often now.

Now for the bad. The bike is showing its age, the handlebars and rims are a bit rusty (everything chrome plated), and cables need replacement. The new 26 x 1 3/8 tires, tubes and rim bands cost more than the bike. After the cables are replaced and brakes are sorted I'll still be well under $100, so not expensive. I'm not familiar with this bikes bottom bracket and crank set up, but luckily everything seems fine for now. I plan on re-greasing everything in time to make sure things remain smooth. Any suggestions are welcome, as I'm not totally familiar with this bicycles maintenance.

I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig, but would like for my wife to enjoy this bike as long as possible. Is there anyone making 26 x 1 3/8 rims new? Or should I just clean up the originals and prevent them from further rusting?(they seem solid, just surface rust) It doesn't need to be pretty, just remain functional.

Also if anyone found "rummage" bikes cheap/free please share your experience and things to look out for.

Thanks for reading, take care.