Old 09-20-21, 06:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I always simply say, "Wheel" loudly enough that the rider can hear me, that being short for "on your wheel" which is too long and could be confused with "on your left." I've never had anyone tell me to go away. Which of course I could do, because I did catch that rider and just wanted a bit of a rest. When I eventually pass, I invite the other rider to come along. Usually they don't. Not everyone has the skills or interest in drafting. If it's someone I know and I'm coming up on them pretty fast, I shout "Accelerate!" before I pass. That's usually on a shallow descent. Most folks will play along.

In pacelines, I like to be the rider with my wheel to the left of the wheel in front of me. So far, I've been able to steer out of a paceline accordions. I've never had a rider brake check me on purpose. That's like brake checking a semi. No good will come of it.
Yelling 'wheel' is stupid. I've NEVER heard anyone do that. Not a single time. I guess if you know the person yelling 'accelerate' isn't quite as stupid but if you did that to me you'd get 'f**k off *ssh*le' in reply.