View Single Post
Old 09-22-21, 08:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6588 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon View Post
I have edited this so many times it is not funny before posting.
it isn't any funnier after posting.
I went from 240 pounds to 155 pounds and lost 20% of my good muscle mass due to the surgery.
I am jealous. I need to get on your weight-loss program.
. I am currently on a budget to $500 initial for a bike(or bike and upgrade parts), which I can upgrade later.
If I might make an unpleasant and unpopular suggestion .... join a gym. Your $500 will be much better spent.

Well .... probably but not necessarily ...

You would need to find a miracle bike---a used bike in tremendous shape which just happened to fit you and didn't need any repair. They are out there, but they are rare. It depends where you are, and how the market is in that place.

A trainer will set you back a few hundred dollars by itself probably. That leaves very little for a bike, new tubes, maybe new tires and cables .... I assume you can do your own work and can tell a good bike from a bad one, and can tell if a bike fits ..... Even so, if you are going to be riding you will probably want gloves, maybe a helmet, lights, a water bottle, a seat bag, and tools and tubes so you can get back home if you get a flat. Suddenly your bike budget is $100. (Besides, riding on a trainer in your garage is about as boring as painting grass and watching it die.)

Note: You can take your risks with a $50 trainer like this (I hate Amazon, but it was the first listing) https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-T...dp/B0872255PS/ That thing might even last the first three rides, who knows? But by then you would be ready for the road anyway. Here is an interesting list: https://heavy.com/sports/best-bike-trainer/

I assume since you lost most of your muscle you will want to rebuild your whole body, your overall fitness anyway .... a few dumbbells, or ..... a cheap gym membership (they range from sales of $10 per month to $30 around here.) The gym where I am a member has a whole room full of exercise bikes which only get used for an hour every morning. if you don't take the class you can use the bikes whenever there are no classes.

Meanwhile, save up for a bike. The late '80s/early '90s rigid MTBs are awesome .... upright riding positions, carrying capacity, lots of gears which are useful when starting out even if the road seems flat. They are tanks, which means both heavy and nearly indestructible. They are also 30+ years old, so finding one in good shape ..... good luck.

if it were me, I would be hitting up flea markets and swap meets and yard sales, and building a Frankenbike .... but if you can find a bike that has been garaged for 30 years .... nab it. But seriously, most 30-year-old bikes need at least tires, tubes, and cables.

If I were you I might look for decent used flat-bar road bikes from more modern eras, and I would be saving up cash and pumping up my budget. If I had a hard budget of $500, I would go to Bikes Direct if I needed new, but to be honest, there aren't many bikes I would be interested in buying at today's prices---and limited availability.

I would shop Craigs List for used bikes otherwise---but you could check every day for weeks on CL before you saw the right bike, only to have someone like me buy it first. And I would buy absolutely as much bike as I could afford, because I would want to be able to enjoy the thing for a few years before I needed to upgrade.

Here is another suggestion which will get the peanut gallery howling-----consider spending $75 on a single-speed Big-Box bike. After all, what you really need right now is exercise less boring than jogging in place in your living room. if you are riding flat roads, and for the first many months will mainly be building a base of fitness, a single-speed wouldn't hold you back. Get the $50 trainer, a cheap single-speed, and forget about water bottles and such---for the first year you will be rebuilding fitness and saving money so that when you cannot tolerate doing one more loop of your neighborhood and Have to get out into the wider world, you can buy a bike you won't mind keeping for a few years.

Or .... do something else. As long as you stay alive and get steadily healthier, I don't care how, really. Buy roller blades, whatever. Enjoy life.