View Single Post
Old 09-23-21, 12:13 PM
themrbruceguy

Bikes: Early 70's Stella -> Gravel SS Conversion, 2019 Trek Stache SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Personally, I always recommend to people looking to get into biking (for any reason) to get outside as often as possible. There's a sense of adventure when you're outside, even when it's freezing, that indoor training doesn't give you. There's a sense of accomplishment getting back from a ride that was at your limits (hard effort, long distance, etc) that isn't quite the same as indoor training. You don't need all of the high end clothing to start out. Just layer up with what you have and face the winter head-on. Show it who's boss! I've always found so much more enjoyment doing that then sitting on a stationary bike inside. It builds a lot of mental toughness too, which is useful in cycling. (although sitting on a stationary trainer for extended periods of time also builds up mental toughness, just different).

As for which bike you should get, I have only ever purchased used and have been very happy with that. If you search around, you're bound to find a good deal for $500 that wouldn't even get you close at Walmart, Target, Dicks, etc. You can find a quality bike for that budget.

Just my thoughts!