Old 09-24-21, 11:42 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
What's the ID of that stem's lower clamp?

That was designed to clamp onto a specific size of seatpost, probably a mm or two smaller ID than the OD of the steel extender(?).

Possibly it could be shimmed to fit some kind of 21.1mm extender, or maybe the stem can be subtly enlarged to fit the extender's ~28mm OD.

I managed to increase the ID of this 25.4mm stem clamp in a way that accurately self-centered the bore size with the existing bore, using stuff at home like the bench vise, beltsanding belt, and wooden dowel.
I used an Allen key in the clamp slot to adjust the diameter as I slowly removed a uniform amount of metal from the ID of the clamp.
Lol, later I discovered that I could order the very same stem but with Kalloy branding in the 26mm ID size. These are the stems that are sized to fit both 22.2mm and 22.0mm stems, so went on my Steyr-built SEARS 10 SPEED together with the 26mm handlebar that had the bend and reach that I wanted.

i've read of your solution/sanding before in a couple of other threads on stems. this stoker stem has a seat post clamp size of 26.4 or .8. not sure at the moment. however, i made a shim for it already so it would fit on 1" threaded/threadless quill adapters. it works really well. nice and solid...ie. no slipping. but, the bar clamp itself is 26mm
anyway, the problem i may run into with this stoker, after mocking things up just a little while ago, is the reach. it's 10cm's. i could get some soma portola bars and the reach (65mm) would work fine vs the rando bars i mocked up (95mm reach). but, i'll have to weigh the cost for the portola vs reaming the fork to decide. i'd kinda rather use the rando bar, anyway. i have an 80mm reach dirt drop stem if the reaming works out. won't know until i get to assembling things. i have a ratty looking quill adapter i'm going to sand down the insert diameter on for a test fit