View Single Post
Old 09-27-21, 06:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
Hmmmm .... "Stack" and "Reach" are two different numbers. Both affect the position of the bars relative to the bottom bracket but in different ways. Stem length, stem angle, and to some small extent head-tube angel also affect bar siting. Spacers under the stem also .... With the Domane, apparently, even though the bars were higher, they were still too far away. As you lean forward, your hands actually move forward and onward in an arc, so the slight extra lean angle to reach the Allez bars kept them within comfortable range. Maybe you sat up a little higher and thus straighter on the Domane so your hands were actually further back----this would explain what you felt.

I thought I had posted here .... maybe I got bored and deleted it .... but you can change stem length, stem angle, and on some bikes you can add spacers under the stem (unless the steerer has been cut too short) to effectively adjust the bar mounting position. I use a +17-degree stem on a couple of my bikes and while purists roll their eyes, I got the frame size I wanted and the fit I want, and the bikes are supremely comfortable. Just flipping a -7 stem to +7 as @cyclezen suggests, might give you the right fit---as you increase the upward angle you are actually moving the bars back a tiny amount.

Don't be fooled by the numbers. If you sit on the bike and it doesn't feel right, but the numbers say it is fine, ...... unless you plan to ride the numbers and not the bike ......