Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,965 Times in 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree. However it is up to the whole team to find a bike that fits properly. “Settling” for a bike that doesn’t fit isn’t about who is right or wrong nor about mistakes while riding.

You don’t see the issue here? If the stoker can’t straddle the bike comfortably, how can they mount the bike in the manner that they want to mount? Again, would you ride a bike that you couldn’t straddle comfortably or one that requires you to climb up on it like a jungle gym?

By the way, the “boob” tube isn’t the rear top tube. The “boob” tube is the lowest tube that links the two bottom brackets and comes from the BB for bottom bracket.

Then why bring it is here? I will say that in “The Proper Method”, the stoker does mount first in that they get their feet on the pedal and are seated in the saddle before the captain. I don’t think anyone would suggest that the stoker straddle the bike before the captain straddles the bike. I have occasionally left the stoker to hold the bike while I get off to adjust something (saddle usually) but that is usually only after we are underway and the stoker says something needs adjustment.

I wouldn’t disagree. However, using a shock post is up to the team to decide. As a very long term mountain biker, I’m very used to raise off the saddle on bumps. Unfortunately most people don’t understand how to do this or why. I had to tell my wife why I did it just this last summer because she didn’t know why or what I was doing. She’s not a mountain biker and never really developed that skill. She now lifts up a little when I level the pedals so bumps aren’t that bad. She’s even told me that I don’t need to call out bumps.

Finally, we have been having discussions because of this thread. She finds the supposedly punishingly stiff aluminum Cannondale to be a very comfortable bike. She is actually enjoying riding it which isn’t something I could have said 35 years ago.
Wow, why so hostile?

You missed my point about the boob tube. I know which tube that is. I already mentioned that our top tube slopes down to the rear so we both have standover. My point about the level boob tube is that means that both BBs are the same distance from the road. If the inseams of the two riders are markedly different, as is frequently the case and the team uses proportional crank lengths, the stoker's cranks will be shorter than the captain's. Thus while standing on the ground beside our bike, the stoker's crotch to saddle distance is 1.5" greater than the captain's crotch to saddle distance making it more difficult for her to mount..

We've been putting 1000-3000 miles/year on our tandem for many years, so my stoker got used to dealing with being a stoker quite quickly. She's good about informing about how I could be a better captain. I appreciate it. She adores that machine. Stokers rule. I feel bad when I have to go out on my single, but that's only when she's too busy or the ride will be longer or harder than she wants. That used to be in the 100 mile/7000' category, now we're down to like 60 miles/4000'. We rode her birthday at 70.