Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11425 Post(s)
Liked 4,793 Times in 2,785 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Made a map of what I will call the "through route" of my tour:

Ride with GPS | Bike Route Planner and Cycling Navigation App

It does not show the many miles of day riding I did in and around Burlington, which included a trip north to ride the causeway. It also omits a some miscellaneous mileage where I started to go certain ways but had to turn back because of road conditions. Finally, it does not included mileage within campgrounds and in Hyde, where I did a few miles riding from my motel to a wine store and laundry and back. I had to fudge it between Taconic State Park and Millerton because Google Maps, which RWGPS uses, does not yet show the recently completed trail section between those two places. Shortened the first day by avoiding miles along the lake due to a steady 15-20 mph headwind with stronger gusts. Odometer, which was at 0 when I left the house for the train station a couple of miles way, ended up at 650. Sounds about right when you add the excluded mileage described above. I checked the computer against some road mile markers a couple of times and it was pretty much spot on.

According to RWGPS, there was 28,790' of climbing. Average of only about 49'/mile. Not excessively hilly, but due to a healthy number of trail miles, that figure doesn't tell the entire climbing story.
Holy crap. You almost made it to Canadialand. Nice jaunt!