Thread: Clipless pedals
View Single Post
Old 09-28-21, 11:26 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
As others have said, clipless won't help with "pulling up" on the pedals (it feels like that, but it doesn't/very rarely actually happen). Clipless doesn't help with standing either, that is a matter of balance. The main benefit, as others have said, is keeping your foot in the proper place with relation to the pedal so you spend less energy/attention on keeping your foot in the proper place on the pedal. One side benefit for many of us is that this also makes it easier to maintain a smooth pedaling action, though many are perfectly capable of pedaling smoothly without clipless.

That said, I do encourage you to get clipless pedals (I encouraged my wife to do so for a couple of years before she tried them on our tandem - she loves them). IMO clipless pedals are the most significant improvement in cycling gear since the parallelogram derailleur. As for type, I think it doesn't really matter. I started clipless when Look was basically the only option (I'm sure there were others around back then, but they were much harder to find) and I never had any reason to try anything else. Agreed walkability is an issue, so if you're using your bike for multimodal transportation or to do errands (or just for the sake of flexibility) then a walkable cleat plus a two sided clipless/platform pedal is probably your best choice.
Likes For noimagination: