Old 09-30-21, 10:38 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
I own both a 2007 Ford Focus and a 2007 Toyota 4Runner. The Focus never moves and still costs me more to own than the 4Runner. 4Runner is daily driven by my wife to work and we spend $25/month getting her to and from work. The Focus had exactly 12 miles out on it this year which is up exactly 12 miles from last. It’s costing me $75/ month just to let it sit… my annual insurance is $4,000 on 3 vehicles, a motorcycle, and a boat. So in all actuality its costing us $200 a month for it to sit there.

Also the tires on my 4Runner are half what we paid for the Focus (Maxxis Razors vs Pirellis) … I think a lot depends on the area you live in as well. Out here it’s 4wd country and everyone has a truck or SUV while not everyone has a sedan.
Gas costs are lower with the Focus and tires are cheaper to replace so why would anyone drive a 15 mpg 4Runner instead for trips where a four wheel drive SUV is hardly needed? A year ago I had a heavy duty diesel 4WD pickup that averaged 16 mpg and a gas powered SUV that averages 24 mpg and a Prius that averages 44 mpg. Going to the building supply store or a nursery or towing a boat, the truck was used. For trips to stores for groceries and such we use the Prius. The Prius was also the primary commute vehicle. People underestimate the true costs of ownership and overestimate their need for off road capable vehicles like the Toyota 4Runner. No doubt it is the cool factor as many people do not want to be seen in a compact car or a minivan and so burn more gas and contribute more to global warming as a result.

The advantage of the Traverse SUV is that we can put two of our bikes in the back and leave the wheels on the bikes. No worries about them on the outside of the car where they can be stolen in seconds. Anyone who thinks bike locks address the problem has never seen a 18 volt corldess cut-off tool with a 4" cutting disc go through hardened steel chain or wire cables in seconds. For an investment of less than $200 a thief can have a portable tool the will rapidly cut through any bicycle lock.