Old 09-30-21, 11:39 AM
David.MPB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nearly 4 am. Leg 2. CHI > WAS.

Tips for train
  1. Don’t sit closest to a door that goes to the food area. It’s constantly noisy. And the light is always on.
  2. Definitely shoot for a solo seat if you have a choice. Sleeping so close for so long next to someone who isn’t close could be awkward.
  3. Consider leaving rear panniers on bike. It may take a little persuasion but as I see my machine helplessly lilting between heavy bags I’m concerned for the derailleur.
  4. Accept that these trains have been around for a while. Germaphobes need to seek alternative transportation.

While Amtrak will take your bike the literature needs some clarification and “walk on service” means you hand it to the guy in the baggage car. He then balances it between the bags. Let’s not forget the reason those bags are there is because they are oversized and over 50 lbs. You can ask to stand it against a wall on one side but it’s his call.

“Remove all bags and lock your bike”. Um, that’ll practically guarantee mishandling if at your destination the handler cannot wheel your machine easily.

Mileage will vary pending finding an employee that gives a crap.

Amtrak, at least the Texas Eagle and Capitol Limited, have a lot to learn about cyclists needs. The luggage cars are plenty big but lack management and organization. Even for the bags - thrown on top of each other. Why no self service rack system or any rack system that secures an exposed machine upright and away from luggage?

Boxes are not the answer for those with connections.

Must. Sleep. Now.

It’s now 7:30am. Just left PGH and McKeesport.

Can’t post a pic cos I’m too new. Letting this message run cos I’m only allowed 5 post in 24hrs.

I happened to go check on the bike in the luggage area. Bags have shifted and new bags loaded. One in particular is against my derailleur. Then I notice another bike which has been loaded in upright racks (hooks) exactly where the handler refused to put my bike in CHI.

I’m pissed and anxious.

I found a conductor (an assistant I presume as he identified himself as “one of them” when I asked if he was the conductor) and asked if it could be moved. To his credit and despite the fact that we were now underway he attended to it immediately.

Of course that must have set off alarms when he opened the door as the senior conductor was quickly on the scene getting very defensive about procedure.

Later at Cumberland I observed the senior conductor on the platform allowing 2 cyclists to load their own bikes next to mine.
2 additional bikes have also joined the party. One laying down in free space and the other taking my original spot (though it still has rear panniers on so may be afforded a little more protection. )

I guess it comes down to the station and staff. Big city vs. small town.

oh yeah we’re 2 hrs late already. Sorry Lincoln.