View Single Post
Old 10-01-21, 10:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I had a bead separation on a Gator Hardshell a few years ago.

I may still have the tire up in Portland. But don't think I have any photos of the non-booted tire.

Tire was brand new and mounted the night before the ride. About 70 miles into the ride the bead blew (rear tire). No brake rub.

23mm Gator Hardshell.

I blamed it, in part, to inflating it to 110 PSI (or so) during the cool evening before, and then heading out on a hot day. Nonetheless, the tire should have had adequate buffer to take the temperature change.

I managed to make it 20 miles further north on my ride in "limp mode" to the nearest bike shop where the shop sold me a replacement 23mm Rubino Pro, and told me that they did not sell Continental tires due to durability issues.

I've read news that that shop has since closed.

As far as 4000's, 5000's, gators, 4s, etc... my interpretation is that the sidewalls are all similarly constructed, and the primary difference is in the tread.

I have had tires with which the cross hatch pattern was damaged over time, and the tires were fine. So, my interpretation is that the outer cross hatch is primarily cosmetic.

=============================================

As you noted, a blowout could put a person at risk. In my case, the tire blew in a low traffic area just north of Jefferson, Oregon, relatively straight stretch, and it was on my rear tire.

The biggest problem was being self-supported, 70 miles from home, and between towns large enough to carry spares.

And, even riding into Salem, I realized that finding a 23mm replacement required a bike shop (25mm would fit, but would be awfully tight, nothing bigger).

Last edited by CliffordK; 10-01-21 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For CliffordK: