Old 10-04-21, 03:49 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
My 2018 Crosstrail has undergone more changes and improvements.

For the past 1100 miles it's been a rear hub drive eBike and I've been super happy with it. But I've always wanted to try a mid-drive kit on it so, I've taken it all the way back to a non-electric CT.

I decided before adding the mid-drive kit I needed to get all the ebike stuff off of it and turn it back into a fully functioning "acoustic" bike. So, it was off with ebike wheel/drive hub, electronics and everything. I reinstalled the original rear wheel with 9-sp cassette and the microshift thumbshifter. My thinking was if I can get it back to stock drive train I can then safely install the mid-drive gear on what I know is a properly working bike.

After a couple of days work I rode the bike just now in it's fully non-electric form - wow, an ebike is much more fun.

I did not reinstall the front derailleur that the bike came with - so it's not exactly "stock." And I still have the Rockshox Paragon Gold front shock, the seat post shock and as part of this process I changed the tires to 2" wide Schwalbe Marathon 700Cx50C Wire Endurance Green Guard tires - which fit just fine by the way.

I still need to work on the rear deraileur indexing. When I built the bike into an eBike the new wheel with the hub drive didn't work well as a 9-sp so I converted the freewheel and thumb shifter to 8-speed and that worked just fine. So, part of the process today has been to reinstall the MicroShift thumb shifter and reindex everything from scratch.

There's not a lot to see here - but here's the bike back in it's non-electrified form.

Likes For creativepart: