View Single Post
Old 10-10-21, 08:25 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
My first ATB was a 1986 Diamond Back Topanga. I put slicks on it to commute with. Did some trail riding and then bought a cheap pink Reflex (bonded aluminum tubes to lugs) from a mail order place which got me into real riding. Did stuff in the Canyon Lands National Park and the Wasatch on it etc. Then I realized it was too big, and I got a Lotus mail-order bike with Sun Tour Express push-push shifters.

Kept selling the old ones on consignment at a local shop.

The shifters died, and then I got a steel Ross drop bar, dare I say gravely bike 700c bike which I rode for years until the fork broke off under me.

Then I got a yellow Giant Cadex with Suntour XC pro micro drive and I was hitting the big time single tracks on it. Put a 110 travel Manitou on it eventually and raced a bit. Then it got stolen.

Then I got an early carbon frame and the brake posts broke off in the rear, and that was warranted a funded a titanium hardtail in 1996 which I still ride a lot.

These were my first mountain bikes.