Old 02-26-06, 05:35 PM
dbmcclus

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just returned from 40 mile ride. I did not realize it before, but I am keeping my arms straight, not bent at the elbows. This may explain most of my problem. I have a Trek Pilot. The geometry of this bike allows for a more "upright" riding position. I must have been taking this to heart too much. Yes, I was trying to ride so upright, that I kept my arms fully extended! Not good! I guess I will have to get used to being bent over a little so my elbows are not locked in. I am thinking about moving my seat forward just a bit. This may help me to reach the bars easier. I noticed today, that if I slide forward on the seat, things were better. I know that for the seat to be alinged correctly, the small bone on the front of my knee needs to be directly over the pedal axis. I think if I move my seat forward 1-2 inches, I will still be ok.

On today's ride, I kept my elbows bent the entire ride. I constantly changed positions with my hands every 30 seconds. Many times, I left my left hand free. I still have a weak hand now, but it is much better than after most rides. I also used gloves with more padding. Thanks for all the advice. I will keep you posted.

Dennis