Old 10-14-21, 07:56 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
What's your issue with rollerbrakes in winter? I find they are well-suited to winter, their main downfall being cooling, which is less of an issue in winter, and operating in grease so they can't get full of water from slush and snow.

And as I alluded to above, I used a rollerbrake on the rear of a dedicated winter commuter and it fared much better than the Sturmey XL drum I had on the front. The drum would fill with water and cease to function, while the rollerbrake was about the only thing on that bike that made it through the winter without needing overhaul.
So when was your SA XL made? Mine is an alu hub from 2012. I had a cold muddy week riding in China. Did 30+ miles of wet clay and a few days riding on a slimy shoulder all day. A couple days the useless rear caliper clogged up and froze in damp cloudy 3C temp.
So my front XL FDD was doing ALL the braking on 10% hills. ZERO worries or lack of performance.
Must have been something wrong with your setup or fenders dripping.
My CCM 3 speed barely gets a drop anywhere on the bike after riding spring puddles 20 or 30 miles.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-14-21 at 08:02 PM.