Old 10-15-21, 06:25 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
T-mar,

What do you think of this number (7D03172) on the lower end of the head tube? I guess it is a serial but I stink at decoding them and appreciate your help. The seller believes it is a Nishiki. I think it is a decent spray paint and there is no head badge or decals of any kind. There are no drive side photos and the machined aluminum piece at the bottom looks like possibly a spacer to make another fork fit because it looks out of place to me but that is just speculation. It has Tru-America Matrix rims but I don't know they are original. It has Shimano 600 aero brake levers and if the derailleurs are 600 I don't think I would hurt myself buying it.

Thanks in advance.

Based on the serial number format, in conjuction with other features such as the pump peg, it is a 1987 model manufactured by Matsu****a/National of Japan. However, it's much harder to identify the model. The obvious candidate would be a Panasonic DX-5000 based on the New 600EX but in that case I would also expect the New 600EX headset and an integral fork crown. I would have expected the same, had this been a contract built Schwinn Super Sport. It's also possible that the New 600EX is not OEM, though it is period correct. I also can't rule out a crashed bicycle with a replacement fork and front wheel, given the repaint and Matrix rims. It also looks like the headset may have been cobbled together from a few mismatched parts, to accommodate a fork with a slightly longer steering column. To be safe, inspect it very carefully and give it a good test ride. It's unfortunate that there aren't more photos, specifically a good, overall, drive side photo.

Regardless, it's definitely a 1987 frame built in late February by Matsu****a/National. Here's a head photo of a 1987 Panasonic DX-5000 showing the same serial number format and location.
Likes For T-Mar: