View Single Post
Old 10-19-21, 01:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,232 Times in 3,890 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It should lower your effort if you're drafting, though last week I found myself in the annoying position of putting out consistently HIGHER w/kg than the guy in front of me who was 'riding' the Canyon Aeroad while I was on the less aerodynamic Ultimate. Plus at 6' I'm taller than average and thus less aerodynamic, so I think that might have been a factor as well. Still, it was annoying to see him putting out 1.3 w/kg in front while I was pushing 1.5 w/kg behind him.

The thing about the structured workout people is they can't draft you, but you can draft them. I don't even know if you show up on their screen (I tend to get a little hyperfocused doing workouts), so I think a lot of riders hitch onto them knowing they'll probably put out a lot of watts and tow them around. Then again, the output is likely to suddenly change, too. You wouldn't follow them IRL because their sudden drop in power would have you riding over them.
Drafting lowers the effort needed to go the same speed, true, but how often do you use speed as your metric in Zwift? For me, w/kg is the number I pay attention to. 2.0 w/kg is still 2.0 w/kg, whether you're drafting or not.

You can see other riders during a workout.