View Single Post
Old 10-20-21, 03:57 AM
Jonesandrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Pantour hub and main frame hinge pin

I managed to revive the Pantour hub on mine. I trimmed a blue elastomer from a Cane Creek Thudbuster to approximately fit the cavity. It doesn't fit very well, a larger piece of elastomer would be better, but the hub now works again.

If you're buying one of these please be sure to check for play in the main frame hinge. My bike is little used but has annoying play which allows the frame to twist if I put heavy pressure on the pedals. It's possible to reduce the play by adjusting the small turn buckle in the hinge clamp mechanism, but the latch becomes very difficult close and even more difficult to open if I do this. Consequently I'm in the process of attempting to renew the hinge pin. This is proving to be a very difficult task. The pin is inserted into a blind hole and I began by drilling the top (blind) end so that I could try to punch the pin out from the top. This was unsuccessful, the pin did not move. I'm now attempting to drill it out from the bottom. A TCT tipped drill is required, HSS drills are not hard enough. At the time of writing I have not been able to complete the task. (I'm reluctant to use any heat on the frame because the paint finish on the bike is still excellent). Has anyone else attempted pin replacement on one of these bikes? Any advice would be much appreciated.