View Single Post
Old 10-26-21, 01:42 AM
tbenjaminsen

Bikes: 2014 Mondraker Factor XR 29er, 2017 BMC SpeedFox 01 XT/XTR, 2017 BMC Teammachine SLR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Just looking at your build, I would say that, unfortunately, you have a bunch of fairly expensive and fairly light components all leading upto a fairly light bike. There's no silver bullet here.

Darimo T1 Loop Seatpost Aero/Not round ? Darimo Carbon

Darimo will make you a 95g seatpost that will probably save around 100g. You can also get their sub 200g bar-stem that they just announced. That will probably shave off a solid 100-200g.

The wheels seem to weigh 1470g. Quite portly for a set of tubulars. The cadens are a good choice if you want something aero. Their 25mm wheelset weighs 940g so you'd lose a solid 500g. ax lightness sells a similar wheelset for double the price that saves you another 100g.

You can save another 150g on the crankset. Maybe 50-100g on the saddle if you get a berk or something. You can get a one piece cassette that will shave off 70g. Ti/bolt-on skewer, at least up front. Etc etc. WeightWeenies is a better place to inquire about this.

so I just mentioned several thousand dollars in "upgrades" that will save you *maybe* 1.2kg. Is it really worth it?

Personally, the first upgrade I would make is a BBinfinite or hambini bottom bracket. A stiffer bottom bracket is both cheaper and more noticeable than any of these upgrades. Then I'd look getting nicer tires. Weight isn't everything. The rolling resistance, comfort and stiffness of a bike matter just as much, if not more and can usually be improved with a lot less money.
Thanks a lot - this is really helpful!
Will have to consider these tips, although the question you ask "Is it worth it" is the most relevant here.
I'm leaning towards just keeping the bike as it is, maybe keeping it simple switching the tires and likewise considering a potential BB switch down the road (pun intended)