Old 11-01-21, 10:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
sure, but then i have a cycling computer and a phone! strongly prefer only one, and although you can see the notification (can you see all of them?) i don’t think you can actually do anything about them, e.g. send a quick slack at a stoplight without digging the phone out.

the situation has gotten much worse post-covid, with kids needing to be fetched from schools at the first sign of a sniffle in their cohort, everyone “working” from home and relying exclusively on slack and zoom, etc.

some of the newer computers looks pretty interesting, i might try one again someday, but it’d have to be pretty special to convince me to take two devices on my ride.
Yeah, you'd have both - a cycling computer that does a better job as a cycling computer and a phone that's reserved for phone stuff - and the pros/cons have been re-hashed enough times on the road forum; we don't need to go over them again, but feel free to look 'em up. Suffice to say that there are a lot of good reasons that dedicated computers exist and you'll probably find some of them yourself, as your cycling habits change.

Also, and I mean no offense, but I take it that you haven't ridden with a proper fitting jersey? Getting a phone out isn't an onerous task, and I'd hardly describe it as "digging."

At the end of the day, you do you, but you're looking for an inelegant (IMO) solution to a problem that many have already solved.
Likes For WhyFi: